The Gustavus International Festival on November 17, 2012 featured many of the talented faculty and students of the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures & Cultures.
- Professor Ana Adams, Spanish, danced the flamenco, as images of her native Andalucía showed in the background.
- Professor Paschal Kyoore, French and African Studies, gave a demonstration of the gyil, the traditional xylophone from his country of Ghana.
- Students of the Spanish Club created a presentation about Perú, including information about an orphanage where Gustavus students have volunteered. The photos show students Rachel Chase and Ian Shay, Spanish and LALACS, presiding over the exhibit, as they spent the 2011-2012 academic year in Lima.
- Rachel Chase performed a work by Mexican-singer songwriter Julieta Venegas.
- Students Stephanie Glaser and Laura Flicek, Spanish, talked to festival participants about Spain, where they studied in 2011.
- Student Jenny Hernández, Spanish and LALACS, participated in a demonstration of Latin American dance (merengue and bachata) with members of OLAS, the Organization of Latin American and Spanish Cultures.
- Joey Taylor (one of the student organizers of the festival) and Isaak Hagen sang two Russian songs: ”Katysha” and “Leningrad Nights”.
See the photos below!