“I Love LA MESA” Posted on October 6th, 2014 by

Submitted by Dang Le, Spanish Academic Assistant

“I love La Mesa!” exclaimed Estew Diante merrily, one of the most dedicated members of the Spanish Table who goes to the meeting on Tuesday as often as she goes to church. She is not alone, of course. Every Tuesday evening, Spanish-learning students at Gustavus Adolphus College gather at the Marketplace to have dinner and to practice their Spanish at the same time. It doesn’t matter what level of Spanish students are studying; there are always members from 101 or 102 classes who have fun at the Mesa and even pick up one or two new words after the meetings. The topics discussed at the Mesa vary, ranging from personal experience to events in the Spanish-speaking world. Such a relaxed and rewarding environment is the reason why many students consider the Mesa a part of their weekly schedule. Eric Dronen, an alumnus from the class of 2012, shared:

Going to La Mesa is a unique opportunity that allows you to come out of your comfort zone and make great strides with your speaking and listening abilities. I feel so blessed to have participated with La Mesa simply because of the notable improvement I made with the language and with my own self-confidence. My only regret is that I did not start going sooner.”

Picture: A moment at La Mesa.

P1170457

La Mesa

If you haven’t been to the Mesa yet, do it now while you can! We meet from 6pm to 7pm every Tuesday at the Marketplace. Look for the flags!