Emma Thompson, CIEE Global Institute- Berlin, Germany Posted on November 16th, 2017 by

Emma Thompson

Junior

CIEE Global Institute – Berlin, Germany

Majors: Psychological Science | Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies

I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to study abroad in Berlin, Germany this past spring semester. I spent my time there with the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE). They offer semester long programs with classes whose credits easily transfer to American colleges and universities. Since students from all over the U.S. attend, not only did I get to experience Berlin, but I was also able to learn about other parts of the U.S. 

I took a wide variety of courses in Berlin, including language, culture, and history classes. While I had studied the German language in the U.S. for several years before traveling abroad, it couldn’t compare to living in the country, practicing my language skills in real contexts, and getting to visit monuments I’d heard so much about, such as the Brandenburg Gate. 

While it’s important to explore and get to know the city you’re studying abroad in, another perk of studying in Europe with CIEE was that I was easily able to travel to other countries and cities on the weekends and breaks. Seeing new places that I’d never before considered visiting was one of my favorite parts of studying abroad. It was an incredible experience that I learned so much from.

I’m so thankful that I was able to study abroad and would highly recommend it to any Gusties who have the opportunity. I learned much more than what my professors taught me in the classroom, and while all experiences are different, I’m confident that most students who’ve studied abroad, whether in Europe, Asia, Africa, or elsewhere, would say the same.